Your Friends that Count

“Your Friends that Count” is an informative, consumer-focused accounting blog by the Certified Public Accounting team at John Kasperek Co., Inc.

Amending a Tax Return … to File or Not to File?

tax loadingThe end of tax season is a relief for most (maybe not so much for those who filed extensions) but doesn’t necessarily close the book on your 2015 taxes just because you filed on time. You may realize you made a mistake, overlooked a deduction or income, or received a revised 1099 form or other adjustment. The choice to file an amended return should not be made based on whether or not you getting more money back or are increasing your tax liability, but rather on being as honest and thorough as you are able.

“Often, clients leave money on the table because they are not aware of their options,” said Kyle Kasperek, of John Kasperek Co., Inc. in Calumet City, Illinois. “We encourage our clients to be attentive to what they receive in the mail and to speak up if they realize an oversight for better or worse.”

The good news is that if you file an amended return in your favor you can ask for money back.  You have three years from the date you filed your original return, or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later. No matter when you choose to file your amended return, the IRS will typically have three years from the filing date of the original return to perform an audit.

“If you will be receiving a significant amount of money back, be aware that the IRS may be more diligent in their review of review your amended return,” said Kasperek.  “You also have the option of having the refund applied to your current year’s tax.”

So how do you file an amended return?  Be advised ALL amended returns must be filed by paper via Form 1040X no matter how the original return was filed or which forms were used. 

If filing an amended return will increase your tax liability, you should complete the Form 1040X as soon as possible.  Many individuals who realize they will owe more are inclined to wait to amend their return at the latest possible date; however, they will owe additional interest and probably penalties too. Interest is charged on any tax not paid by the original return, and the IRS will bill accordingly (penalties may also be assessed but can be contested).

So when shouldn’t you file an amended return after noticing a mistake?

“If you made math mistakes or simply failed to attach certain documents, the IRS will usually make the adjustments or reach out to you if more information is needed,” added Kasperek.

Continue reading
  3321 Hits
3321 Hits
  • Our Clients

    Our Clients

    Our client list at John Kasperek Co., Inc. features a wide range of significant audit work including local governments, townships, school districts, municipal pension funds, not-for-profit organizations and common interest real estate associations. In addition, we also serve a variety of small business S-Corporations, Partnerships and individuals.

    We are happy to provide contact information for referrals upon request. Here is a sample of our client list.

  • Our Staff

    Our Staff

    Our team at John Kasperek Co., Inc., Certified Public Accountants is dedicated to providing quality, personalized financial guidance to local government, not-for-profit organizations, businesses, corporations and individuals.

    Managing Partner John Kasperek, Jr. has developed our team of professionals with an excellent working knowledge of the accounting principles and current standards to provide the highest level of excellence to our clients. Well known throughout Chicagoland area for his diverse expertise in all aspects of accounting, John has built a thriving company that serves the critical needs of the south suburban and northwest Indiana region.

    Please feel free to reach out to John or the rest of our team at John Kasperek Co., Inc. any time for answers to your questions. Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call (708) 862-2262.

  • Our News

    Our News

    In order to better serve our clients, partners, friends and colleagues, John Kasperek Co., Inc. will issue a new monthly digital newsletter with relevant financial and accounting information, changes to auditing standards and procedures, news and announcements from our firm. Please email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you would like to be added to our digital newsletter distribution list.

    Additionally, we recently created an informative, consumer-focused accounting blog titled Your Friends that Count that is posted online at and is distributed through Facebook and LinkedIn.

    We will post press releases, announcements and stories from our firm to our Newsroom page.
  • Our Offices

    Our Offices

    John Kasperek Co., Inc.’s Corporate Office in Mokena is conveniently accessible from I-80 and Lagrange Road. JKC’s Calumet City Office is located near Torrence Avenue, I-80 and I-94. Our primary service area reaches throughout the Chicago Southland and Northwest Indiana region.

    We travel to our clients to provide services when and where they are needed.

    9980 190th Street, Unit A
    Mokena, IL 60448
    1471 Ring Road
    Calumet City, IL 60409
    (708) 862-2262
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.